Recently it has been announced under President Trump’s directive to the United States Trade Representatives (USTR) that an additional tariff of 15% be placed on approximately $300 billion of imports from China, List 4A effective September 1st, 2019. It was also announced an additional 5%, or total of 30%, on Section 301 List 3 items, effective October 15th, 2019.
We have continued to work diligently to reduce the impact of additional tariffs to you by:
- • Moving our production outside of China.
- • Negotiating reduced costs with our manufacturing facilities.
- • Increasing our inventory position on impacted items.
Our success in reducing exposure to these tariffs is realized by the following:
- • Of the Section 301 List 3 items we still manufacture in China, which as of October 15th, 2019 will be impacted by an additional 5% or total 30% additional tariff, we have been able to offset over half of the tariff impact on an average weighted basis.
- • Of the Section 301 List 4A items we still manufacture in China, which as of September 1st, 2019 are impacted by an additional 15% tariff, we have been able to reduce the impact to less than 9% on an average weighted basis.
While our success in reducing exposure has been significant, we will continue to reduce the impact of tariffs and as we do so, pass the savings on to you. However, there are worldwide limited opportunities to reduce costs by moving products outside of China without disruption in the quality or service Majestic prides itself on. Therefore, we have no choice but to raise prices on those select items on our corresponding 4th Quarter 2019 pricelist effective October 1st except for those items impact by List 3 which will be effective November 1st.
Thank you for your continued support.